The recipe is adapted from ‘Baking with Tropical Fruits’ by Melinda Lim
Makes 12 Longan Coconut Cupcakes (Sugarless) – I replaced 200 g castor sugar with 3 tbsp honey
- 1 can of longans, 397 g (14 oz), drained and chopped, reserve the liquid
- 200 g (7 oz) cake flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp honey OR 200 g (7 oz) castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 60 ml coconut milk
- 60 ml longan syrup
- Black sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Drain the longans and cut into small pieces, set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, set aside.
- Line a 12-cupcake pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add 80 ml vegetable oil and 60 ml coconut milk.
- Beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Turn the speed to low and gradually add the sifted flour mixture.
- Mix until no trace of flour is left.
- Add 60 ml longan syrup and mix for another 3 seconds.
- Fold in the diced longan.
- Scoop into cupcake liners about three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle top of cupcakes with sesame seeds.
- Bake in oven at 180 C for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.